Sunday, March 13, 2011

necessity is the mother of invention......

so is being on a very tight budget....
i plan to take a lot of pictures when austen and i go to washington dc.  i have a lot of camera equipment and it goes in a big backpack camera bag.  it's heavy and it screams "camera equipment in here, steal me".
i wanted something that was lighter, cuter and more purse-like.  so i searched the internet and found 
this epiphanie bag.
oh, so pretty isn't it?
however.....
$184.99...no thank you!
i saw the price and pictured myself with the backpack strapped to my back for 15 hours a day. and then someone stealing it from me.....
  i googled "camera purse" and found a couple very creative diy-ers who made their own camera bags. 
so i got creative.
10 minutes later i was out the door for my supplies....
i went to kohl's and found 
this
very fun purse..silver genuine faux giraffe skin....
on sale from $44.00 to $26.40 and with an additional 30% off coupon i had, the total cost was $18.48.
yes, please!!
then i went to joann's and picked up 
these supplies....1 inch craft foam, $6.99, fat quarter fabric, $1.39 each and batting, $7.50.  i also picked up some iron-on velcro for $5.50. i ended up only using the craft foam and the velcro.  total? 13.00.
turns out i needed more fabric for the project so i used fabric that i already had.
i measured the purse, cut the foam and sewed the fabric into little pockets for the foam.  i ironed on the velcro and had i known that i was going to be using the fabric that i did, i would have picked up white velcro instead of the black.  oh, well!!
i made side panels, slipped the padding into the purse and
used a breadcrumb container for a camera model.  i was making meatballs at the time
and was too lazy busy to get my other camera out.
and because i am lazy, tired, ingenious, instead of making the separator panels to make the compartments, i am using the ones that are in my backpack.  
total price of this project? 
$31.48.  
total savings?
$153.51.
mo' money to spend in dc...oh, yeah!!
and there is still plenty of room for another lens, my little wallet, digital cards, cell phone and a notepad and pen. and if i want to use it as a purse, the innards just slide out.
cool, huh?

16 comments:

Megan Burleson said...

This is super cute! Great idea, and it looks a lot better than the epiphanie bag!!

I sent you an email from my business account:

megan.b@embymedia.com

Can you make sure and add this to your contacts so I'm not stuck in a spam/junk folder? =) Thanks.

But the gist of it is, I am unable to leave to meet today, but I can still do a phone call if that is okay with you? I will give you a call around 11:30.

Love the blog!

Musings Of A Gem said...

Hiya!

Wow...I love the ingenious idea! You'd just think it was a normal bag!

I can't believe how expensive the other bag was...so pricey : )

Gemma x

Unknown said...

love it, the epiphany bags are awesome looking but yeah, the price is ca-ra-zy. love your idea and would love to copy it.

Privet and Holly said...

Maybe YOU should
open an etsy shop
and sell your own
camera purses??
Great job and you
will be so stylin'
in DC!!
xx Suzanne

Lori said...

I HEART you for sharing this! I can not wait to make one for myself!!!

Georgianna said...

Brilliant, Cindy!! How very inspiring and creative of you! I have far too much gear to carry to use a purse/camera bag but knowing that one can be made like this is tempting. Definitely much better than spending so much money.

Have a wonderful time in DC!!! xo – g

Unknown said...

Super smart and...smart looking!

Amanda said...

now that is just too cool!! what a great idea!! Im bookmarking this for when i get my new camera and need a bag!

Southern Gal said...

I bought a sling with my camera. I wasn't a huge fan, but my husband thought it would be a good idea. Not. I hate it. I've looked at all the purse type bags and can't believe the price. Kept telling myself I could make one. Now you've done the work for me! Thanks for sharing. I'm off to find a great bag to transform this week.

Valerie said...

Great idea! I love how plush the foam makes it. I'll have to try that when I make my next bag! :)

Natalie said...

Holy crap, you ARE a genius! I just made a camera bag using her same tutorial and I'm totally kicking myself now! I guess I'll have to get another bag and make another one. :) I love how the innards come out. (I laughed so hard when you said that...)

NatSprat.blogspot.com

Krystal said...

I just wanted to let you know that I'm featuring this on my blog today if you'd like to check it out.

thanks!
Sassy Sanctuary

Devonay said...

Fabulous idea! I think it's waaay cuter than the expensive bag! Love that purse!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

You are a genius! I have a really large purse that I got at a garage sale that would be perfect for this! Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad I stayed up to keep reading your blog.

natalie said...

found you on the tutorial linked from tip junkie! your bag looks great! love the bag you chose (and what a great deal too!!) i've been wanting a fun camera bag but didn't want to spend the $$$- trip to kohls might be in order for me soon too!!

Lisa said...

All these purses are cute. I love all of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails